An auto immune disease is a condition which causes your body to turn on itself and inappropriately attack its own organs, tissues, or cells and it is far more common that you might realise.
Did you know?
• Women during childbearing years are most likely to be struck by an autoimmune disease
• Autoimmune disease is one of the top 10 leading causes of death in girls and women under 64.
• An autoimmune disease commonly takes over 4 years to be diagnosed
• There are at least 80 different types of autoimmune diseases
• The susceptibility to suffer from an autoimmune disease does run in families but it is thought to be 30% genetic and 70% environmental (so there is a great deal you can do about it).
• Once you are diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, you are 3 times more likely to develop additional autoimmune diseases in the future.
This is an area where homeopathy can work wonders whilst the medical profession are often unable to do little more than prescribe anti-inflammatory or pain killing medicines. You can see from the above facts that whilst your genes do have something to do with whether you are likely to suffer from an autoimmune disease, lifestyle plays a huge part too and we’ll look at some things you can do to improve your symptoms or likelihood of getting them.
10 signs you may have an autoimmune disease:
• Fatigue is one of the first signs and common to most of the autoimmune conditions
• Nausea, constipation, diarrhoea or bloating
• Mental confusion, forgetfulness and memory loss
• Anxiety or depression
• Muscle weakness
• Skin problems or hair loss
• Tingling in your fingers and toes caused by poor circulation
• Joint pain and inflammation
Here are a few comments from people with autoimmune diseases after just one or two treatments:
“My mind is a lot clearer and my headaches have gone”
“The bloating is gone, it’s just not an issue anymore. My whole digestive system has improved and my energy is great”
“My asthma attacks are definitely less often and less severe, I don’t feel nearly as worried about them as I did before”
“The pain is much better so my energy has improved. It feels like my body has gone back to how it was about 5 years ago.”
Homeopathy works so well with autoimmune disease, but to see a real change you need to change your lifestyle as well. I like to encourage my patients to try and make these 4 lifestyle improvements as much as possible:
1. Reduce your toxic overload. We live in a very toxic world, and our body’s cope with a lot…. until they just can’t cope anymore and that final straw causes symptoms. Things like tattoos, hair dyes, chemicals in anything such as cosmetics, cleaning products and medications (don’t just stop taking them but consider carefully your choices).
2. Eat as pure a diet as possible – make convenience food a thing of the past, go for organic where possible and lots of lovely fresh fruit and vegetables. Definitely try a gluten free and dairy free diet for a while to see how that helps. Both gluten and dairy put a huge burden on our digestive system and if you have an autoimmune disease it may be one burden too many.
3. Ensure a good night’s sleep – if this feels like an impossibility, homeopathy will help with this.
4. Have some quality relaxing time doing what you love to do and don’t feel guilty about it. A perfect choice is meditation or yoga, but if you don’t like the idea of that try reading, gentle gardening or crafting – whatever relaxes you.
If you have an autoimmune disease and would like to find out if homeopathy can help you please give me a call on 01626 201107 and have a free 15 minute consultation.