Homeopathy has a great reputation for treating colds and flu, and if caught early enough, aborting them completely as you will see from my experience below.
This past weekend I was all ready to go out, I had people ready for a lift and I was chatting away arranging things and – suddenly realised I had a sore throat. One minute I felt fine and then I noticed my throat, and started to realise I was indeed feeling the first signs of a cold. Unable to cancel everything easily and with no time to think about it I decided to take a dose of Aconite 200 and hope for the best. Thank goodness I did – the sore throat was gone by the time I arrived at Plymouth and although for a couple of days I honestly didn’t feel 100%, I certainly didn’t get a proper cold and my only concern was that maybe, although I had hardly any symptoms was I still contagious? I honestly don’t know the answer to that one but I was so glad I’d taken that remedy when I did – I genuinely think it helped prevent that cold developing and as I’m not usually good at noticing the first sign of a cold it was a great testimony to me that this works as well as the books say it does!
There are many homeopathic remedies to choose from and a simple book or first aid kit will help you to select the correct remedy but here I hope to help you choose a remedy that will help. (If you are interested in a first aid book I sell a simple one on my website for only 99p).
As a rule we tend to follow our own pattern when we come down with a cold so if you recognise your typical symptoms below it is worth getting that remedy ready for winter.
When choosing a homeopathic remedy, look for the most outstanding features of the cold to match the most outstanding features of the remedy, here are a few of the most common remedies good at fighting colds and flu:
- Aconite is the number 1 remedy for nipping colds in the bud and is useful in the early stages of colds, fevers and sore throats. This remedy helps when symptoms have come on quickly, often after exposure to cold. There can be a lot of sneezing with pain at the root of the nose and dry mucous membranes. You will feel worse towards evening and night time and better for fresh air and rest.
- In contrast Bryonia symptoms come on slowly and the sufferer will feel worse for moving around. The patient may start to sneeze and a hard, dry cough can develop. The lips and mouth dry up and there is a great thirst. A dose of Bryonia can stop the symptoms reaching the chest. It is also a good remedy for children who develop dry coughs at the beginning of winter and seem unable to shake them off.
- Gelsemium is the number 1 remedy for a bad cold or flu when you feel dull and sluggish, and often have a headache at the back of your neck. There will be chills and shivering with aching muscles in your limbs and back. Colds and flu responding well to Gelsemium usually come on gradually and are worse for cold, damp weather.
- Allium-cepa is more for the typical head cold with a runny nose which causes sore nose and upper lip with burning, itching or watery eyes.
- The Natrum-mur cold often starts with sneezing. There will be a watery discharge from the eyes and nose. These people are often very introverted and quite sensitive.
- Pulsatilla is a good remedy (especially in children) when the discharge is thick and more yellow or green. The patient may often feel pathetic, even weep and clingy and want looking after and symptoms will usually improve a bit out in the fresh air.
If possible use a 30C or 200C of the most correct remedy you can select. Repeat it frequently if it helps but if it has not helped after 3 doses stop as the remedy is incorrect. However, I only took one dose of Aconite because I then went straight out – and the results were fabulous, go with the symptoms and don’t take more than you need.
Remember also that sleep is incredibly important for your body to enable it to heal so get as much sleep as possible. Eat as much nutrient dense food as you can and drink plenty of water. (Foods that fight inflammation and bacteria include honey, raw garlic, coconut oil, blueberries, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, mustard, green tea, cranberries, and chilli or cayenne pepper).
If you continually catch colds it is really worth seeing a homeopath to strengthen your overall vitality with a more carefully selected remedy. Give me a call on 01626 201107.